Selected Greek Novels
From a list available from June Samaras
June Samaras of Kalamos Books contributed
this list of novels, with brief descriptions, and prices as of
March 1997. Note these prices are for used copies, some with some
damage. All correspondence about these books should be with her
directly, I do not stock or sell these items.
- Abatzoglou, Petros, What does Mrs Freeman want?, (Efstathiadis,
Athens, 1989 ), 112p. $10.00 How an English couple appear to
the natives ! "Ironical insight into the confrontation of
- Athanassiades, Nikos (Trans. Stephanos Zotos), A Naked
Girl, (Orion Press, New York , 1968 ), 217p. $5.00 Ex-library
copy. Gently erotic "coming-of-age" story of Dimitri
and a girl like a mermaid.
- Brecoulakis, Leonidas, Winter Swallows, (Cosmos ,
1990 ), Three patients in a sanitorium support each other in
their battle againt alcoholism $19.00
- Chadjifotiou, Zachos, Clouds over Mykonos, (Efstathiadis,
Athens, 1989 ), 176p. $12.00 An "Almost True" story
of hedonism on Mykonos,enlivened by photographs
- Dimitriou, Sotiris, Woof, Woof, Dear Lord, (Cosmos
, 1989 ), 111p. $10.00 We are sad creatures, dumb creatures:
our spokesman ultimately is a dead dog... woof, woof, dear Lord."
- Douka, Maro, Fool's Gold, (Kedros , 1984 ), 325p.
$20.00 Myrsini joins the resistance movement against the Colonels,including
the Polytechnic massacre in 1973
- Fakinou, Eugenia, Astradeni, (Kedros , 1990 ), 249p.
$18.25 Character imagines being a Doll in a museum, "What
would our eye's see after 100 years"
- Franghias, Andreas, (The) Courtyard, (Kedros , 1990
), 448p. $25.95 Survival of residents of the Courtyard after
- Haris, Petros, Longest Night: Chronicle of a Dead City,
(Kedroso , 1988 ), 144p. $20.00 Nine stories recreating "the
grim years of the Nazi occupation"
- Ioannou, Yorgos, Good Friday Vigil, (Kedros , 1990
), $19.00 3 stories of solitary,alienated, obsessed individuals.
- Kazantzakis, Nikos, Serpent and the Lily, (Cosmos
, ), 117p. $28.00 An artists's infatuation with his model,leading
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Carl Wildman, Zorba the Greek,
(Faber & Faber , 1974 ), ISBN 0-571-05265-7 $5.00 The story that
made Anthony Quinn famous !
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Jonathan Griffin), Christ Recrucified,
(Faber & Faber , 1963 ), 470p. $5.00 Mythical tale of Christ's
Passion as experienced in a Cretan village.
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Jonathan Griffin), Freedom or
Death, (Simon & Schuster , 1965 ), $6.00 Heroic conflict
in Crete btween Greek Christians and Turkish conquerors.
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Peter A.Bien), God's Pauper;St
Francis of Assisi, (Bruno Cassirer,Oxford , 1962 ), 390p.
$5.00 Poor condition. Interpretation of the life of Saint Francis
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Peter A.Bien), Report to Greco,
(Bantam Books , 1966 ), 496p. $4.00 Kazantzakis "reader,in
these pages you will find the red track made by drops of my blood."
- Kazantzakis, Nikos (Trans.Peter A.Bien), Saint Francis,
(Simon & Schuster,New York, 1962 ), 379p. $5.00 Interpretation
of the life of Saint Francis. US Edition of "God's Pauper"
- Kondylakis, Ioannis, Patouchas, (Efstathiadis.Athens
, 1891 ), 168p. $12.00 Humourous account of a young shepherd
Manolis & his efforts to conform to the social values of the
- Kotzias, Alexandros, Jaguar , (Kedros , 1987 ), $10.00
Dimitra's account of family survival and resistance during Nazi
- Koumandareas, M., Koula, (Kedros , 1990 ), 80p. $9.00
A "Brief Encounter" on the Athens Subway meeting "in
.. a no man's land of passionate discovery"
- Liberaki, Margarita, Three Summers, (Kedros , 1986
), 320p. $21.00 "Loves,Lies ans Secrets" of 3 girls
growing up in Greece
- Lolos, Kimon, Respite , (Harper & Brothers , 1961
), 173p. $8.00 Ex-library copy. Story of a Greek Battalion on
the way to the Italian front in Northern Greece,December 1940
- Mourselas, Kostas, Red Dyed Hair, (Kedros , ), 432p.
$25.00 "Four decades of contemporray Greek life at the bottom
of the barrel."
- Myrivilis, Stratis, Schoolmistress with the Golden Eyes,
(Efstathiadis, Athens , 1980 ), 264p. $10.00 Like the "Mermaid
Madonna" Myrivilis shows life on Mytilene - a Classic
- Myrivilis, Stratis (Trans. Abbot Rick), Mermaid Madonna,
(Efstathiadis, Athens , 1981 ), 244p. $6.00 lovely, lyrical novel
of girl growing up in fishing village on Mytilene.Classic
- Nikolaides, Aristotelis, Vanishing Point, (Kedros
, 1992 ), 304p. $21.00 The protagonist and his world gradually
disappear from view
- Papadiamantis, Alexandros, (The) Murderess, (Writer's
& Reader's Press, 1979 ), 192p. $13.95 The lives of girls and
women on a Greek island in the 19th.century (Skiathos)
- Papadiamantis, Alexandros, Tales of a Greek Island,
(Efstathiadis, Athens , 1981 ), 192p. $13.00 Folkways of Skiathos
captured in 12 delightful short stories
- Parnis, Alexis, (The ) Proofreader , (Efstathiadis,
Athens , 1980 ), 222p. $13.00 Russian Greek in 1938 and his attemt
to escape liquidation - black humour of survival under tyrrany
- Plaskovitis, Spyros, Facade Lady of Corfu, (Kedros
, 1990 ), 320p. $21.00 Angelhina handles modern tourists in Corfu,
but remembers the olds traditions of the island
- Prevelakis, Pandelis (Trans.Abbot Rick & Peter Mackridge),
(The ) Cretan : a Trilogy in one Volume, (Nostos , 1991
), ISBN 0-932963-06-4 $35.00 "The story of Crete and the
people's struggle for liberation" Compare to Kazantzakis
- Prevelakis, Pandelis (Trans. Philip Sherrard), Sun of
Death, (John Murray , 1965 ), 206p. $7.00 Ex-library copy.
Orphan boy learns wisdom & survival skills from Aunt Rousaki
in a Cretan village.""A novel of rare simplicity""
- Rodocanachi, C P. (Trans. Patrick Leigh Fermor, Forever
Ulysses, (Viking , 1938 ), 315p. $25.00 Picaresque novel
- hero from Cephalonia makes good in Africa. G/no dj.
- Royidis, Emmanuel (Trans.Lawrence Durrell), Pope Joan,
(Consul/World Distributors, 1960 ), 155p. $4.00 Fictional biography
of only female Pope published in 1886,author was excommuncated
by Church !
- Samarakis,Antonis (Trans.Peter Mansfield & Richard Burns),
(The ) Flaw, (Weybright and Talley , 1966 ), 208p. LC 70-85152
$12.00 Ex-library copy. Bureaucratic nightmare, written in 1966
and prophetic of the Colonels of 1967
- Satsmadjis, J., Spectre of Samos Island, (1991), 230p.
$15.00 Greek resort disturbed by the mysterious death of a young
- Sotiriou, Dido, Farewell Anatolia, (Kedros , 1985
), 192p. $21.00 Axiotis, a poor man is witnees to the expulsion
of the Greeks of Asia Minor in 1922
- Taktsis, Costas (Trans.Leslie Finer), Third Wedding,
(Red Dust , 1971 ), ISBN 0-87376-018-2 $15.00 Ex-library copy.
Humorous & moving novel of a woman's life in Greece during the
- Theotokas, George, Leonis, (Kedros, 1950 ), 164p.
$20.00 Novel of adolescence in Constantinople at the time of
the Great War (1914-18)
- Tsirkas, Stratis, Drifting Cities, (1979 ), 710p.
$39.00 Excellent. Monumental Trilogy of 3 cities during WW II(Cairo,Jerusaelam
- Vassilikos, Vassilis, Coroner's Assistant, (Pella,
1989 ), 188p. $12.00 Another novel by the author of "Z"
- Vassilikos, Vassilis ( Trans. Mike Edwards), (The) Photographs,
(Sphere Books , 1973 ), 156p. ISBN 0-7721-8739-4 $5.00 Return
of Lazarus,poet & film make, to his birthplace,reminiscenes of
lost times in Greece.
- Vassilikos, Vassilis (Trans. Marilyn Calmann), "Z",
(Ballantine Books , 1968 ), ISBN 0-345-01756-0 $3.00 Classic
story of the assassination of Lambrakis, basis of Costa-Gavras'
- Vassilikos, Vassilis (Trans. Mike Edwards), Outside the
Walls, (Harcourt,Brace,Jovanovich, 1973 ), 192p. ISBN 0-15-170515-1
$10.00 Ex-Library copy (Greek Authors - Modern) A composite,
vivid & disquieting picture of Greece under the Colonels.
- Vlami, Eva, Skeletovrachos, (Efstathiadis, Athens,
1983), 174p. $7.00 "Skeleton Rock" a novel which identifies
local folk customs (won award from the Athens Academy)
- Vrettos, Theodore, Birds of Winter, (Houghton Mifflin,
1980), 211p. ISBN 0-395-29455-X 12.00 Young man with Monastic
vocation cught up in resistance to the 1940 invasion of Greece
- Vrettos, Theodore, Hammer on the Sea, (Little,Brown
& Co., 1965), 182p. Ex-Library copy $6.00 "Moving love story
... and religious quest during the Nazi invasion of Greece"
- Yatromanilakis, Yiorgos, History of a Vendetta, (1970),
172p. $12.00 Murder and revenge in a small Cretan village in
the early part of
Last modified 6/16/98