Located near the town of Distomo, which is near Delphi, in the Boeotia region of Greece, the monastery preserves 10th and 11th century religious art.
Two churches are here, adjacent to each other, the smaller Church of the Theotokos (10th century) and the larger cathedral church or Katholikon (1011-12AD).
Each has an impressive set of frescos that present and describe the Orthodox world view. The church is a form of visual and spatial rhetoric.
The name of the monastery does not memorialize Luke the evangelist, but rather a holy man named Luke, who lived near the site and died in 953.
(right) The frescos above the altar in the Katholikon.
(below) The exterior of the churches.
|Last modified 7/5/16; posted 2/19/10; original content © 2016, 2010 John P. Nordin|